Need help with ESS?
Contact the OFM Help Desk:
- Phone: 360-407-9100
- Email: HereToHelp@ofm.wa.gov
Employee Self Service (ESS) - Troubleshooting
If you are using JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reader, you may need to turn off the JAWS virtual cursor.
- If your agency uses the ESS Leave feature, you may need to turn off the JAWS virtual cursor to select a submitted leave request from the Show Overview of Leave table.
Contact your Human Resources (HR) office.
- Your Human Resources (HR) office may need to update your earliest personal retroactive accounting date in the Human Resource Management System (HRMS) to allow you to make the change.
- The error message may be referencing a current leave request or a previous leave request.
Ensure you are using the correct Logon ID. Your ESS Logon ID is your personnel number. If your personnel number is less than 8-digits, add zero (0) to the beginning to make it 8-digits. For example, 123456 will become 00123456. If you don't know your personnel number, contact your Human Resources (HR) office.
- Your Human Resources (HR) office will input your work email address when you are hired into the agency. If you don't know your work email address, contact your Human Resources (HR) office.
Select Refresh in the dropdown box located in the upper right corner. This will refresh the leave request information. For example, ESS will display this message if an approver has selected a leave request to approve and the employee has updated the leave request before the approver has submitted the approval.
The Employee Self Service (ESS) portal may not function as expected in some browsers. If you need more information, please contact the OFM Help Desk (HereToHelp@ofm.wa.gov 855.WaTech1 or 360.586.1000).
If you are unable to select All Employees or change the month using the dropdown menu on the team calendar:
- Place your cursor in the field and input your selection or use the up/down arrows on your keyboard.
If you receive pop-ups when you are in edit mode and try to exit a transaction (for example, 'Could not open new browser window. Contact your system administrator for assistance'):
- Add the Employee Self Service (ESS) portal site to your pop-up blocker settings or turn off pop-up blocker services in your browser settings.
If the menu is missing from the Detailed Navigation section under Personalize when you are using Internet Explorer (IE):
- On the Internet Explorer menu bar, select Tools then Compatibility View Settings. Add 'wa.gov' to the list and select close. Close your browser session. When you open a new browser session and log on to the ESS portal, the Detailed Navigation menu should be available under the Personalize settings.
If you are unable to select a Type of Leave using the dropdown menu:
- Place your cursor in the field and input the first few letters until the type of leave appears in the field.
The Employee Self Service (ESS) portal may not function as expected on some mobile devices. If you need more information, please contact the OFM Help Desk (HereToHelp@ofm.wa.gov 855.WaTech1 or 360.586.1000).
If you are unable to access the Personal Information page or Leave Request page:
- Log on to ESS using the native browser on your device.
If you are unable to select a date for a leave request using the calendar feature:
- Place your cursor in the date field and input the date of the leave request.
If you are unable to select a leave request using the Team Calendar:
- Use the worklist to select the leave request.
If you are unable to scroll down in the Country or State field to input an address on the Personal Information page:
- Input the first couple of letters in the pop-up table and then select the filter button. For example, input US and then select the filter button.