Local Update of Census Addresses (LUCA)
Time left to take the Census:
The Local Update of Census Addresses operation or LUCA, is a voluntary decennial census operation. LUCA is the only opportunity prior to the 2020 Census for tribal, state, and local governments to review and update the U.S. Census Bureau’s residential address list and flag group quarters for their jurisdiction.
The Census Bureau relies on a complete and accurate address list to reach every living quarters and associated population for inclusion in the census. The census data has numerous applications and impacts our state in many ways. See Governor Inslee’s LUCA promotion letter for more information:
Local jurisdictions will have one last chance to add to the Census Bureau’s address list during the New Construction program. Registration for this program will occur April-July of 2019. The work will occur between September and November of 2019. See New Construction Program for details.
LUCA appeals (summer of 2019)
LUCA participants will receive feedback materials from the Census Bureau during the summer of 2019. Participants will have 30 days to appeal rejected changes. The appeals will be reviewed by the LUCA appeals office, a temporary federal entity managed by the Office of Management and Budget
How did the state participate?
OFM signed up as a LUCA participant. We used a list of approximately 3.4 million residential addresses from administrative records in our review process. We focused on high growth areas within jurisdictions that were not already participating in LUCA. We reviewed as many jurisdictions and addresses as we could with the time we had. We also reviewed group quarters statewide.
Here are the results of the Washington State 2020 Census LUCA submittal.
- Census LUCA main page
- Schedule of LUCA training workshops
- LUCA Paper Respondent Guide [pdf]
- LUCA Digital Respondent Guide [pdf]
- LUCA GUPS Respondent Guide [pdf]
- LUCA GUPS Quick Start Guide [pdf]
- GUPS software and test data. Please note, there is no support for the software or data at this time.
- Download GUPS software containing the LUCA module
- LUCA GUPS test data [zip file] (the password for the data is: testing)
- Address list for test data [csv]
- Stateside Electronic Address List Layout Values for the 2020 Census
2018 Partnership Shapefiles
The shapefiles that the Census Bureau is sending out to LUCA partners are currently posted online for the BAS program (they contain all of the layers including edges and blocks).
- Group Quarter Types and Definitions [pdf]