New Construction program - 2020 Census
This program is local governments’ last chance to update the Census Bureau’s address list before April 1, 2020, Census Day. This program allows local jurisdictions to submit city style mailing addresses for housing units constructed and/or completed after address canvassing and LUCA. In addition, local jurisdictions should submit lists of group quarter addresses and transitory housing locations (such as shelters, soup kitchens, official homeless housing, and regularly scheduled mobile food vans).
The Census Bureau's New Construction page answers frequently asked questions about the program. It also explains how local governments can participate. The deadline to register to participate is June 14, 2019. The Census Bureau has prepared a simple visual flier to explain the details below.
- Participation in LUCA not required.
- Registration will take place April through July of 2019.
- Work will take place from September until November 22, 2019.
- Participants will have 45 days from receipt of materials to submit.
- No title 13 materials involved.
- Can opt to do work in GUPS, paper or ARC GIS.
- Do not submit addresses already submitted through the LUCA program.
- Do not submit addresses rejected through the LUCA program. These rejections should be appealed through the LUCA appeals process.
- Brief U.S. Census Bureau presentation from September 2018 on the New Construction program.
- New Construction Federal Register.