2020 Census Jobs
The U.S. Census Bureau needs to hire hundreds of thousands of people across the country to do field work, to connect with communities, and to manage the process. In Washington, there will be five Area Census Offices: Seattle (opening January 2019) and Everett, Olympia, Spokane and Tacoma (opening summer 2019). You can help Washington by identifying and encouraging people in your community to apply for these jobs. Also, check out the Census Bureau's 2020 Census Recruitment Toolkit for sample post and email messages for spreading the word about census job opportunities.
Understanding 2020 Census Job Application Process
The Bureau is using two different portals for announcing positions and accepting applications.
For Manager/Partnership Specialist positions, the Bureau has www.census.gov/fieldjobs. This link will direct applicants to the U.S. Census Bureau’s website. Applicants can search by location, and once they locate a position they want to apply for, they will be directed to usajobs.gov to apply.
For all Field positions (enumerators and address canvassers) and Area Census Office Staff, the U.S. Census Bureau has www.2020census.gov/jobs. This link will direct applicants to create an account. Applicants then wait for a confirmation email, after which they can complete and submit an application for open positions in the area – without knowing what those open positions are and without selecting a specific position. Applicants will be asked to complete an assessment and provide other information to be considered. If they do not complete all parts, their application will not be processed correctly. More details (including details about how to check the status of your application) can be found on this handy two-page handout.
- General Job Flier (print and post)
- Adams County Job Flier (print and post)
- Benton County Job Flier (print and post)
- Clark County Job Flier (print and post)
- King County Job Flier (print and post)
- Kitsap County Job Flier (print and post)
- Pierce County Job Flier (print and post)
- Snohomish County Job Flier (print and post)
- Spokane County Job Flier (print and post)
- Thurston County Job Flier (print and post)
- Whatcom County Job Flier (print and post)
- Yakima County Job Flier (print and post)
To be eligible for a 2020 Census job you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have a valid email address.
- Complete an application and answer assessment questions. (Some assessment questions are available in Spanish. However, and English proficiency test may also be required.)
- Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you are a male born after Dec. 31, 1959.
- Pass a Census performed criminal background check and review of criminal records, including fingerprinting.
- Commit to completing training.
- Be available to work flexible hours, which can include days, evenings and/or weekends.