Other pages about the topic: Census
In a report released August 27, 2018, the U.S. Government Accountability Office finds that the Census Bureau is behind on finalizing planning for efforts to reach minorities and hard-to-count populations in the 2020 census.
The Washington State Department of Commerce is initiating a Request for Proposals (RFP) to solicit proposals from organizations interested in helping ensure a complete count of people in Washington during the 2020 census. Proposals are due by August 24.
Download full RFP
Contact Jaclyn Woodson, RFP coordinator, at Jaclyn.firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-725.4049.
The Nonresponse Followup operation (NRFU) will determine the status of the nonresponding addresses to the 2020 Census. NRFU will ascertain whether nonresponding addresses have housing units and whether they are occupied or vacant. If a housing unit is occupied then NRFU will enumerate that housing unit. It is anticipated that 60 percent of all U.S. addresses will self-respond in 2020. The remaining 40 percent of addresses will make up the NRFU universe.
In an op-ed in The Marysville Globe this week, Arlington Mayor Barb Tolbert outlines why her city is engaging early on outreach and data preparation for the 2020 Census:
This program is local governments’ last chance to update the Census Bureau’s address list before April 1, 2020, Census Day. This program allows local jurisdictions to submit city style mailing addresses for housing units constructed and/or completed after address canvassing and LUCA. In addition, local jurisdictions should submit lists of group quarter addresses and transitory housing locations (such as shelters, soup kitchens, official homeless housing, and regularly scheduled mobile food vans).
This program offers federally recognized tribes, state tribal liaisons, local governments, councils of government, and regional planning organizations the opportunity to review and modify select statistical boundaries that the Census Bureau uses to report the data that they collect. Registration will be March-May 2018. The work will be completed January-July 2019.
What are the affected geographies?
The Local Update of Census Addresses operation or LUCA, is a voluntary decennial census operation. LUCA is the only opportunity prior to the 2020 Census for tribal, state, and local governments to review and update the U.S. Census Bureau’s residential address list and flag group quarters for their jurisdiction.
The intent of the 2020 Census is to count everyone living in the United States, including people experiencing homelessness or living in transitory locations. General information about how the homeless will be counted and categorized in the 2020 Census results is provided below, as well as references to more detailed explanations.