State of Washington IT Professional Structure
IT SYSTEM ADMIN - SRMGR
The information contained on this page is a general description of the IT Professional Structure job family and level noted. The hiring agency or institution maintains positions descriptions with the specific duties and required qualifications for individual positions.
Allocation criteria for classified IT job families and levels is found in the IT Professional Structure Evaluator’s Handbook.
Job Family Definition
Work that involves planning and coordinating the installation, testing, operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of hardware, software systems and systems environment. Includes defining or coordinating common processes or procedures to support IT operations.
Job Level Competency Description
• Provides senior management involvement for IT services, involving multiple IT job family specialties and integrating new technology.
• Analyzes practical situations and applies knowledge of the IT job family disciplines to meet the specialized needs of the organization.
• Provides the highest level of technical IT expertise and guidance to organization administrators. Communicates using non-technical terms to administrators regarding IT services and functions.
• Develops, interprets and applies policies and procedures governing the overall delivery of IT services.
• Mentors and coaches managers, supervisors and employees in best practices and standards.
• Serves as the most senior technical position and represents the highest level of professional expertise in consulting and advisory work across multiple job families.
• Provides overall strategic direction and highest level technical guidance to assigned project or other personnel. Prepares activity and progress reports.
• Responsible for developing the vision and designing, deploying and enhancing IT services support for the organization.
• Makes strategic decisions including implementing initiatives across multiple divisions or across the agency/higher education institution.
• Serves as a technical executive sponsor of large scale IT projects.
• Manages and monitors IT Services budgets.
There may be instances where individual positions must have additional licenses or certification. It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure the appropriate licenses/certifications are obtained for each position.
Recruitment announcements will specify the specific desirable qualifications for the posted position.
New classification, adopted 06/13/2019, effective July 1, 2019.